So, you just got your hands on your first bottle of quality CBD! Congratulations, the first part is already done. But, now you’re wondering how exactly you should be taking your CBD Oil to achieve the best results. Fear not, we are here to help clarify how you should be using your oil of goodness to achieve the max level of relief!
- Shake Well!
- Be sure to shake your bottle, as parts of the oil can settle/suspend.
- This will ensure you get the full range of cannabinoids/ingredients!
- Pro Tip: Squeeze the dropper a few times as well to cycle the stagnant oil that was in it.
- Decide Your Dosage
- The general rule of thumb is to start low & slowly increase to find your “sweet spot”
- The “correct” dosage varies from person-to-person
- Don’t hesitate to increase your dosage! It’s the #1 reason for not having success with CBD.
- Read More on “Finding Your Sweet Spot”
- Fill Dropper
- Squeeze the dropper to fill it, then empty to the desired amount.
- Usually, droppers will have markings to indicate mL amounts.
- Take note of how much you’re taking!
- Pro Tip: Shake the dropper before taking it fully out (avoids unwanted drips)
- Place Under Tongue
- Oil is absorbed sublingually AKA underneath your tongue!
- Let your oil absorb for 2 – 3 minutes or more. (Longer the better)
- Try to avoid talking, eating, etc. during this time.
- Rinse Down
- We usually use water to wash down the remaining oil!
- This will ensure you get every bit of CBD you can.
- You may also spit it out, although that additional CBD will be lost.
How Quickly & How Long Will I Feel It?
Although it varies, CBD Oil generally reaches the bloodstream in ~30 minutes. There are many times where people feel it much quicker, but this is a typical figure. CBD Oil lasts in your body for about 5 hours! So, you can see that CBD Oil has a healthy balance of quickness & duration. It’s likely why it’s the most popular delivery method!
What Will I Feel?
CBD is non-intoxicating. Therefore, effects aren’t as pronounced as it’s cousin, THC. Be mindful of your mind & body throughout your CBD journey. Many find they feel a wave of calmness, a sense of balance, & reduced discomfort throughout their bodies! CBD does an incredible job of helping your body restore stability & balance to the many vital systems in your body!
Many people also realize that CBD is helping in ways they didn’t expect it to! From helping you feel more empathetic & kind to enhancing your sleep & improving communication skills with others. Often, we also realize that things that may have agitated us prior to taking CBD breeze by like a warm summer breeze!
Storing CBD Oil
We have an entire article dedicated to this subject here. So, be sure to read more there. But, to summarize, CBD Oil should be kept in a cool, dark place away from sunlight or heat. This is because CBD & the many other cannabinoids are photo-sensitive, meaning they breakdown with exposure to excessive sunlight. Heat can also change the composition of the oil, altering the effects you feel. So, places like a medicine cabinet or even a refrigerator are great ideas!
Can I Use it Topically?
Yes, you can use CBD Oil topically! Although this isn’t it’s “intended” usage, CBD Oil can be absorbed through the skin. This can come in handy in a pinch where you don’t have a topical & are having localized pain. Just rub it on and try to work it in. Oil is obviously oily so this is why many prefer premade topical creams & balms that have CBD infused into an easy to apply product!
Best Practices & Facts to Know
There are a few ways you can ensure you’re squeezing out every drop of goodness from your CBD Oil. Here are a few:
It May Take Time
CBD Oil works best when it has built up in your body. So allow at least 1-2 weeks before expecting the full benefits of CBD. This doesn’t mean you won’t feel relief in the beginning, rather that they may get much better after consistent usage. This is a journey to plant-based, sustainable relief instead of temporary, unhealthy relief!
One of the most important factors to seeing a benefit with CBD is taking it daily! In fact, most people take CBD Oil twice per day or more. Think of this as a vitamin or supplement that should be used as a proactive, preventative instead of relying on it inconsistently, in time of dire need. This sort of usage will lead to decreased benefits & isn’t the way CBD is meant to be taken.
Be Mindful of Dosage
Being inconsistent with your dosage is another quick way to decrease effectiveness & reliability to provide relief. Try to find a “sweet spot” dosage amount that provides you the relief you’re looking for each and every time. If you take more CBD one day & less the next, your body can develop a tolerance that takes away from your experience.
Smaller Doses, More Frequently
Although we invite you to increase dosage to find your “sweet spot”, you should experiment with how often you’re taking it! Sometimes, taking less CBD Oil more frequently ends up working better than aiming for large, infrequent doses. This goes back to consistency!